Friday, June 20, 2008

I'm here!

It feels so good to take a shower after 19 hours on a plane.  19, not the expected 15.  It was 5 hours from SeaTac to Atlanta, and then the 10 hour flight to Buenos Aires took an extra FOUR HOURS because of bad weather.  Apparently as we were approaching the airport it was so windy that the only landing strip we could have used didn't allow for a instrumental landing, and the pilot couldn't do a visual landing because the clouds were too low, so we had to fly to the Montevideo airport in Uruguay and wait while they refueled and the weather cleared up.  I felt bad for the people who had connecting flights to Montevideo, because they weren't allowed off the plane and had to go back to Buenos Aires where they had already missed their connections.  But I was pleasantly surprised that the driver was there to pick me up after the delay, and he said that today was the first time it had rained in 3 months.

On the plane I sat by a guy from Western who's studying for six months at a different university in Buenos Aires, and there were two other exchange students in front and behind us, and we all happened to know people in common.  Small world.

My family is really nice - Ana and Dany's house is way cute, it's narrow and 3 stories tall.  I'm staying in her daughter Florencia's room (who they call Floppy, it's cute) on the third floor, and they have an exchange student from Canada named Melissa who will be here for another 2 weeks.  Melissa is from Montreal though, so she speaks french more so than english.  Also, their house is a couple blocks away from where President Kirschner lives.  We drove around town and the weather looks exactly like Seattle.  Most of the cars are European - I've only seen Volkswagens, Renaults, Peugeots, and Xsaras since I've been here.  They showed me the University - it's a 15 minute train ride, and the nearest train station is only a 5-10 minute walk away.  

Tonight we watched Grey's Anatomy with spanish subtitles, Daniel showed me everything on a map of downtown Buenos Aires that I need to see before I leave, and Ana made me my first "argentinian steak," which was amazing.



No comments: